Instagram is one of the most popular social networks that allows you to share pictures as well as add special effects to it. In 2012, Facebook acquired Instagram and became popular with each passing day. It is highly popular among kids, adults and old as well. However, the biggest concern for which parents have to worry about is the use of Instagram by their kids. It can prove to be a severe threat for kids regarding cyberbullying and privacy. Public without any restriction can see Instagram photos and photos posted by followers can be posted by others as well. If you are not well aware of social media activities especially Instagram, here are few things to know about Instagram as a responsible parent.
Instagram comes with following feature, which allows connection to accept the request and become a follower. The follower gets the instant access to user’s photos and information. For this reason, it must be thoroughly checked by the parents that what people are following their kids and know about all other profile info. Phone numbers can be easily accessed by followers, which might increase the risk of child to be bullied by unknown person. Make sure to see thoroughly about child’s activities and people they follow.
Instagram Sign up
Instagram is highly popular among teenagers and know what it is used for and how they can access the pictures of their friends and followers. However, kids of age 13 or above can use it and thus it is not hard to make an account. All they need is an Android device or Apple and few minutes to sign up. Once you have completed the signup process successfully, your photos will be shared with other online. This is where parents need to look after the teen’s online activity and need to verify or ask your permission to sign up.
Photo Map is another thing be aware of as a child’s parent. This feature creates a map where the photo was capture. If the pictures are already set to private, there is no one to peek inside and even the followers can’t see the map. If you think that Photo Map is open to public, don’t worry you can set this option off.
It is important to secure the privacy of your child, no matter how old they are. If they have an account, make sure to check the following things.
* Make sure to secure the password. When setting password, avoid choosing common words for it such as name, city or birthday. The ideal way to set passwords is to add combination of lower case, upper case, numeric and special characters.
* While signing up for an account, make sure that the photo sharing setting is set to private so that it may not go public. You can set the privacy setting by going to settings, scroll down to “Photo Privacy”, and turn the setting on.
* Select an appropriate profile picture with your child. It is best not to share the actual picture of your kid. Instead go for a picture that represents your kid’s interest.
If you think that setting your privacy on Instagram is enough, you are wrong. If it is connected to Twitter, Facebook or any other social media site, make sure to set them to private settings so that no one can see the pictures. The more you involve your kid, the better it is. Make sure to check the activities from time to time.
Have you taken any action to prevent your teen’s privacy? If you have not, do it right now. Share your experiences in the comment section so that everyone can benefit from it.
Latest posts by Aly Anderson (see all)
- What parents need to know about Instagram - October 25, 2015
- The shocking truth about social networking apps! - September 29, 2015
- How to stop kids from smoking, vaping and marijuana? - August 17, 2015